Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Baked Beet and Brown Rice Salad


Today is September 1st. That seems like a good day to start back on the Eat to Live program. This last month has been full of company and trips with lots of junk food and eating out. I've gained some weight and just don't feel that great. There definitely need to be some changes. I don't think I'll go through all the recipes in the "Eat for Health" book like I had thought before. I'll instead use healthy recipes from lots of different sources.

Today I was looking through our fridge to figure out what to throw away and what needed to be used after my trip to take Andrew back to BYU. I found some beets that needed to be used. I had used the tops for a green smoothie 2 weeks ago and had forgot about the actual beets.

The recipe for this salad comes from "Veginomicon". I've wanted to try it for several years. It was very good. The beautiful pink color from the beets and the pine nuts and thin sliced scallions on the top added extra pizzazz. Mark said that he doesn't really like beets that well, but he liked this salad. He said it was the most delicious beet dish he'd ever had. Definitely a keeper.

We also had green beans from our garden and a green salad that featured cucumbers and cherry tomatoes from the garden. We also had some leftover vegetarian chili.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: