Thursday, October 19, 2006

Unrefined Sugar

After talking to Aaron, I realized that maybe everyone didn't notice that in avoiding refined sugar, we can still enjoy unrefined sugar. This can be fruit juice sweetened cookies or raw sugar, etc. I'm sure it's better to avoid sugar altogether, just like it would probably be better to lift weights or run for half an hour than go on a fifteen minute walk. But, the fifteen minute walk is as much a healthy change as the unrefined sugar (in moderation) instead of white sugar or corn syrup and would get a point in our health club. I hear that chocolate made with unrefined sugar is expensive but extra tasty. There is also unsweetened cocoa that can be sweetened at home with raw, unrefined suger. Hmmmm.... :)

2 comments:

Willow said...

This no refined sugar rule has been the hardest thing for me. I didn't know I ate so many sugar filled treats! Thanks for giving us some healthy sweet options. Even though I still slip up and have some sugary things every once in a while, I'm eating less of it and that's a step in the right direction.

Jane said...

I'm still struggling with the sugar thing, too. I still haven't figured out exactly what to do about sugar, refined or otherwise. It seems like when I go cold turkey I'm great for a while and then something sets me off and I'm on a sugar binge for awhile. Like Willow, I'm eating less now and am more aware of what I'm eating. I guess I need to work on this all-or-nothing attitue and just practice some self-control.